Monday, December 05, 2005

My Weekend

Well, it's been an awful long time since I've written an entry devoted to what's going on in my life, it's been just poetry for some time now, but here's what's going on. Today was your typical Monday, except for the fact that it was a Monday after a fantastic weekend, that doesn't seem to happen very often. To begin with, Friday was the Monadnock Semi-Formal Dance. Usually dances are a good time, but this was probably the best dance I can remember. I drove to Stacie's beforehand for dinner. I got to meet her parents, too, and I would have to say that they're pretty funny. We had spaghetti, and afterwards we went to the dance. When we arrived it didn't look like many people were coming, because it was practically empty, but I guess it filled up pretty well. Hung out with everyone, rocked out as usual, just had a blast, but most importantly danced with Stacie. It was a really great time, and I'm wicked glad I had a date, and a pretty awesome one at that. After a great ending with "Stairway to heaven," we went out to Applebee's with Baumgartner and Ashley, but we only got drinks. It was nice just to hang out with them, and then I drove Stacie home before returning to Gilsum.

I slept in until about noon on Saturday morning. Then I got my swim stuff ready and threw on some warm clothes before heading in to JC Penny's in Keene. I had signed up to work a shift of ringing the bell at a Salvation Army holiday collection bucket in front of the store, and I was there from about 2:45-3:00 PM. After that I went to the Toadstool for about 45 minutes to waste time and warm up before driving out to Troy.

The swim team had a pre-meet pasta party at the FR's house in Troy from 4:00-7:15, so that's where I went. Had a great time there just hanging out with the team, I really like those kids, it's a good team, and we definitely have a good time. We watched some college football, ate some pasta, sang some Christmas carols to the neighbors, and wrestled in the dark. Oh, and Baumgartner and I have been singing some Cher songs, so that's pretty exciting. You can't tell me that doesn't sound like a good time. After we were all full and ready to rest our stomachs before practice, Mr. Dill comes out and he's like, "the lasagna's ready." We're all just like, "ohhh..." Sadly to say, I don't think the lasagna got eaten, hopefully they won't be eating it for a month. Thanks to them for having a great meal for us, and letting us use their house.

After that, we were going to head to practice, and I gave Gail a ride. She wanted to stop at the school to get some notebooks, and Motts had to pick something up there, so a bunch of us stopped there on the way. We had a good time running around the dark school, and that was the extent of that. Gail had a pretty good time riding with me I'm sure, probably scared her a couple of times, but it wouldn't be any fun without a little of that. Oh, and we listened to Motion City Soundtrack in the car, too, a pretty sweet band I must say. Then we went to practice.

Practice was pretty good, but I felt bad for Motts because he had to deal with some things that he shouldn't have had to deal with. Hopefully everything is settled now. Luckily, our excellent captains stepped up and led much of the practice to make it easier on him. I was pretty excited, because I got to work one-on-one with Kierstin, and I think she really learned a lot, and she responded quite well. I wish there was more time for that type of instruction, but I do need to keep working myself, or I'm not going to get any better. Also, we ran a practice run of the Boys 200 Yard Medley Relay, and we clocked a very respectable 2:06, and I led off with a 50 Yard Backstroke clocked at 33 seconds, 2 seconds under my best from last year. This was a very positive accomplishment, and it helped my confidence going into Sunday's meet. When I got home from practice I crashed.

Sunday morning I got up at 5:30 AM to get ready for the meet, and we left at 6:00 AM for Keene State. I was one of the first ones there, and I got stuck holding the door open for people for some time, since the College staff hadn't unlocked the Gym yet. After that I changed and got up on deck to stretch and get ready for warm-ups. Warm-ups went well, and I was feeling pretty good about everything, I was seeded well in all of my events, and I had my eyes set on qualifying in the 100 Yard Backstroke.

My first event was the 200 Yard Medley Relay with me leading off as the Backstroke leg, Mike Fratea following with the Breastroke, Nick Hall with the Butterfly, and last, Chris Baumgartner with the Freestyle. My lead-off leg put us off to a great start, my 32.07 second leg was good for second place behind Keene High's A Relay team. This, sadly didn't hold for the entire event, and we ended up placing 4th, although only a second behind 2nd place, with a new school record time of 2:03.90, breaking our own record of the previous season. Then I had quite awhile to wait before my 500 Yard Freestyle, but when it finally came I was well rested, and ready to do my best. I did much better than I had expected, winning the second heat and placing 5th overall with a time of 6:45.61, about 6 seconds under my personal best time from last season. Then I had just a short time to regain my strength and prepare for the 100 Yard Backstroke, the event that I really wanted to do well in. Although my start wasn't the best, and my final turn was horrible, I came in with a 1:12.16, which was good for 3rd place overall, only a second behind 2nd place, and a trip to states in the 100 Yard Backstroke. The State Qualifying time in that event is 1:14.49, and my previous personal best had been at 1:16.12 since last January. I had accomplished what I had hoped to, and by a good two seconds. Finally, was the 400 Yard Freestyle Relay. We had the same A Relay team, and we were ready, although we had to face an extremely talented Keene High Relay team. Nick led off with a 57.18 second 100, followed by Mike with a 1:00.20, followed by Chris with a 1:03.11, and lastly I anchored the race with a 1:02.42, good for 2nd place overall, and a our second school record of the day, again ours from the previous season. My 1:02.42, was a personal best by about 4 seconds, which I was extremely pleased with. All in all, we lost the meet, but it was a great day for me, and I definitely accomplished a lot. Also, I really appreciated that Stacie came, and that she told me all along I could get the 100 Yard Backstroke, I guess I did, and I am so happy.

It was a great weekend, I'm still excited about how well I did yesterday, and I can't wait until Friday's meet. Thanks again, Stacie, it was a great weekend, and I really appreciate your support, and everyone else's who has asked and congratulated me, it means a lot. To all the rookies, you did great yesterday, and you're only going to get better, my first meet wasn't exactly pretty, and look where I've gotten, it just takes hard work, determination, and a love for the sport. I've put a lot into swimming, and the rewards have been amazing, it's brought me through so much, and I love everything about it.

Peace,
Justin

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Justin, your right this weekend was awesome. I wouldn't have had as much fun without you. The dance was absolutely amazing thanks for going with me:) I enjoyed being at your swim meet and cheering you on it was a good time. I'm so glad you qualified for states! i had faith in you the whole time. Good luck at your meet on friday....i won't be there in person but i will be there in heart:) love you, stacie

Monday, December 05, 2005 5:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home