Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Wednesday

Today we had a two-hour delay of school due to rain. I really don't understand how we can be getting so much rain at this time of the year, I mean it's January. This is kind of disappointing, because I want to go skiing, and this rain is destroying all of the snow, not that the unseasonably high temperatures aren't doing that by themselves. We have definitely had enough rain, though, after the flooding this fall, I would have thought we'd gotten our fair share of it, but apparently we're not done yet. As much as I hate this weather, I did at least enjoy getting the extra two hours of sleep. Besides that it wasn't a very exciting day.

One interesting little bit of information, Nick Hall is leaving for Canada and won't be back until early next week. He's going to be competing in the Quebec Cup for swimming, which I think is pretty exciting. This means he'll be missing our meet on Saturday, though, which isn't great for the team, but I think we'll do alright without him. I think Mike Martineau will probably fill in Nick's spot on our relay team, which isn't a bad thing, because he has gotten very good in a very short period of time, and will definitely be a reasonable substitute. It should be interesting to see how we do, I don't know what I'm swimming yet, but hopefully I'll have another fun meet, since I've already qualified for the State Meet in 4 events. I was thinking it might be fun to try the 100 Butterfly, but I haven't mentioned it to Motts yet. Whatever the case, I'm not too worried about how we do either way, because we have mid-terms this week, and that's what I should be focusing on. I would like to wish Nick good luck this week, it's nice to have him there representing us. I really do hope he does well, because I think he's been struggling lately, and therefore could use a bit of a pick-me-up. I think some strong times at this meet would do a lot for him, so I definitely want him to succeed this weekend.

Also related to swimming, I got a chance to talk to one of the guys that used to help Jack out with the Gators while he was still going to Keene State College. A couple of summers ago he was doing much of the coaching and worked a lot with me. We got along pretty well and I still get to talk to him from time to time. He's been traveling the world since he graduated from college, which makes conversation generally rather interesting. Right now he's living in Seoul, Korea, where he's teaching English. From the sound of it, he's living rather comfortably and really enjoying himself, which I think is absolutely fantastic. He teaches from noon to 5:00 PM and is making around $2,500 a month tax-free, along with around $1,500 a month from private lessons. Life sounds pretty good to me. It's really interesting talking to him, because he seems to have learned a lot from his time away from the States. In his opinion Americans take life way too seriously, and care way too much about everything. His explanation makes sense, and I can definitely tell that he's really happy with the changes he's found outside of the United States. He said a couple of things that I found rather amusing, so I think I'll put them in here. On Americans: "In America, if we stub our toe we have to post it in our blog." Also, upon reading some of what I'd written on this site, he said: "You're too smart for New Hampshire." He's a really great guy, It's nice catching up with him from time to time, always an interesting conversation.

On an entirely different note, I've been thinking again, what a surprise. Some of it was prompted by our conversation, and how we care so much about everything and take everything awfully seriously. Like he said, that doesn't mean you should stop caring about everything, but it makes you think, especially when you think about all of the little things that can upset you. I know I let an awful lot of stupid little things get to me, and sometimes they can be the reason why I have a bad day. That's when I try to put things in perspective, because I know that most of those things really don't matter in the grand scheme of things. But I think there's a delicate balance between caring too much and caring too little. It's hard to find that gray area in between the two extremes. Generally we're on one end or the other. One of my goals is to find a way to bring my life into that center region and care just enough about everything appropriate to its magnitude and effect on my life, my well-being, and my happiness. Some aspects of our lives need a lot more attention than others, and lots of times we give to much attention to the wrong ones. It's something we all do, but I'd like to try and correct it, because some things matter much more than others. And I don't want to judge the importance of things by what I'm told, or what others have believed, I want to find out on my own. I want to judge each thing for myself and rank them in my life accordingly.

I haven't been doing very well at this lately. I haven't been giving the right amount of attention to the things that matter. Actually, I haven't been giving the right amount of attention to much of anything. I need to try to balance things, and figure out what matters to me, but it's really a difficult task, and sadly, it isn't always completely up to me. A lot of things that I don't really care about have found a way to take up my time and energy in ways that they should never be allowed to. It bothers me most when I have no control over the things that are taking up my time, but I guess that's just part of life. Which makes me wonder if maybe I'll never be able to achieve my goal of finding and implementing a balance into my life. I'm not giving up, though. Hopefully I'll be able to figure this out, and give the things that matter what they deserve.

Time is such a valuable thing, why is it so difficult to manage?

Peace,
Justin

"It helps to write it down, even when you then cross it out." -- Nada Surf

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home